Initiate and plan
- Write a proposal.
- Conduct and write an audience analysis and a task analysis.
- Develop a document plan.
- Collect, review and analyze all existing material.
Design and develop
- Develop working outlines.
- Develop templates.
- Create illustrations, call-outs and screen captures.
- Research content by reading original sources, using the product and interviewing subject matter experts.
- Organize, write, proofread and edit all content.
- Perform desktop publishing activities.
Review, validate and revise
- Review for accuracy, completeness, consistency, readability and usability.
- Incorporate editorial and content recommendations from reviews.
- Edit the English version to facilitate localization and translation.
- Validate publications for accuracy.
- Update publications to reflect changes and additions to the product.
- Recommend improvements to the readability and usability of the user interface software.
Publish, deliver, close and maintain
- Provide printers and translation companies with information required to estimate printing and translation costs.
- Work with product localization groups to manage the translation of software, packaging and publications.
- Produce final, camera-ready deliverables.
- Create and distribute bookmarked pdf files.
- Provide all files for the project history file.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the communication project and incorporate the results into a document maintenance plan.